Skip to main content

Day 10: Sovereignty

 

GrimTober Day 10: Sovereignty
Swan Goddess by Kristy Foxlyn

This month I've been participating in Motherhouse of the Goddess' GrimTober prompts, as a way to keep me inspired and creating with Unabashed Joy, without shame and fear, as Hekate wanted.  To also keep building my confidence for my books and decks.  

For this prompt, I looked at many animals that I feel are Sovereign.  For the 9th, I already did a picture of my cat, so no cats for this prompt.  I looked at reindeer cows, honey bees, wasps/hornets, geese, spiders, praying mantis, octopus, bears, and yes swans.  I was thinking about animals who aren't shy about their boundaries, who're strong and powerful.  I kept going back to swans.  

I love swans, Trumpeters and Black Swans are my favorites.

A lot of the time they're associated with nobility, love, beauty, grace, peace, and gentleness.  But in some cultures, swans are also associated with power, trickster/shapeshifting, protection, and strength. 

All of it Sovereignty.

The Battle Maiden Valkyries are associated with Swans.  I think Algiz is also associated with Swans.  I decided on the Trumpeter Swan for this prompt.  As I worked, I kept thinking about the day that I learned how protective, powerful, and territorial swans can be.  

About 16 years ago, on Samhain, during our Handfasting ceremony, our vows were interrupted by a swan attacking one of the photographers down by the pond.  He was okay and learned to stay away from the water.  Everyone was a little surprised by what happened.  Definitely made an already interesting day even more interesting!  That's why I decided to make the background in the colors from the handfasting: Apple, Wheat, Pumpkin, Fern, Ivory, and Gold.

Boundaries.  Respect.  Not just a pretty face.

---------

Thanks for the support!

Face to the Sun.
Trust in Joy.
Follow the Swans...or maybe dont?

- Priestess Foxlyn