Skip to main content

Returning Home

 Wednesday, Sept 23rd, I'll be leading a ritual for Persephone's Descent, as I've done for many years outside of ADF and a couple of years for Virtual Fire.  I'm still working on writing a script for this year.  Persephone's being fairly quiet right now, but I do feel like Molly Remer's Return may be of significance.  At least for me.  A Return to Home Within Ourselves.  

Twice a year, Persephone returns home.  Home above ground with life in each step.  Home underground with decay in each step.

This concept is something that my Spiritual Mothers seem to be stressing at the moment.  Other than the art focus, but then art is also home for me.  I love art--photography, drawing, painting, sculpture, writing, fiber arts, baking, party planning.  Even when I was a little kid, my mom had given me these old falling apart Disney art history books.  I loved them!  I remember drawing the tiny worlds of mice living in our walls to escape and deal with childhood abuse.  Eventually those mice turned into powerful chimaera Guardians of Nature and Balance (heavily inspired by Disney's Gargoyles), with the leader being a Siberian White Tigeress/Harpy Eagle named Takhisis.  From hiding in walls from abusers to being powerful fighters against corruption and abuse--this unintentional symbolism isn't lost on me.

There was a time in my life when my depression was so bad that I stopped calling myself an artist and I put the supplies--including my camera--away.  Hephaestus came to my rescue--aw, I feel Him now.  Basically saying that I couldn't leave art anymore than I could leave the spiritual world.  That I was doing myself more harm than good.  Depression is a liar.  Anxiety is a liar.  Pick up the pencil, the crochet hook, the camera.  If the art isn't pleasing, start over, edit, get better, or try a new medium.  Don't give up, keep creating.  Hephaestus has never wanted an altar or shrine from me--only my actions, my creations, my passion.

One day in 2016-17, my husband surprised me with a new DSLR.  Completely unexpected.  My Canon Eos Rebel reignited my flame.  That spark of a hammer against the steel on the anvil.

I returned home.  Reclaimed the title of artist and never stopped creating, even if it was shit.  Even if it was absolute cringe.  Even if it was just a trace drawing or paint by numbers or some cliched picture or some simple sculpey bowl.  

Artistic skill runs in both of sides of my family--moreso on my mom's side--wonderful artists...who also just neglected those abilities once "they grew up" and life took hold.  Some of them have returned to their art mediums.  Apparently my grandma was a wonderful painter.  Didn't learn that until after her death--her kids tossed her art as a form of therapy for themselves for the pain she caused when they were kids.  My mom expressed herself through crochet (which I didn't know about until 2018 when she gave up on a baby blanket for my son), but she also loved restoring antiques and interior design.  She also loved decorating for parties and events.  One of my aunts loves cosplay and makes her own costumes.  Another aunt still draws and makes jewelry.  One of my uncles loves to build.  He has a lot of land and has transformed it and improved it.  My mom, her sisters, and this brother also love landscaping and gardening.  The youngest of their siblings played clarinet in high school and was even in marching band (I played his clarinet in school).  My brother loved drawing sea animals when he was a kid.  

Super artistic when they were younger.  Then they went through a period of work and life, and in their later years most of them are coming back to art.  My cosplaying aunt never really stopped, she learned how to balance work and fun.

My kids are all very artistic and I support and encourage them to make and explore more.  All three love to draw and make graphic novels.  They're fantastic with digital art, too.  My eldest has been making huge cardboard boats and ships for a years and is starting to get into models.  Midkid is awesome with pipe cleaners and enjoys making stop-action videos.  We'll always encourage them, and I hope that they'll be able to balance life and art, if it's not their chosen career.  But I'm also realistic with them about how hard it is to make a career with art, unless you really stand out or have the right connections.  I want them to never lose that spark, nor do I want them to be starving artists.  There's a ton of different kinds of artists in the world, though--nor do they have to art for money.  Art for love.  Art for healing.  Art for change.  Art for yourself.

Hekate told me to put my clergy plans on hold and return to my first love--art.  She reminds me that I'm already a priestess.  I've got all of these plans in my head for oracle decks and books.  She wants me to focus and pursue that for now--but to not focus on the end result, but the journey.

Speaking of journey, back to Return.  I'm a fast reader and could easily finish this book in a day, BUT I'm going to force myself to slow down.  I'm going to try to read a prayer a day--90 days--which is how this book is intended to be read.  

The Journey, not the Result.  

At the end of each prayer is an affirmation and a prompt.  Yesterday I drew my path unfolding.  It was a shit, quick drawing, but I went with it.  So I may draw as I meditate on the prayers, too.

I'm also going to brainstorm on all of this for Persephone's Descent--Her Return Home.

---------

Thanks for your support.

Face to the Sun.
Trust in Joy.
Follow the Fallen Leaves...

- Priestess Foxlyn