Skip to main content

Hearth Tending of the Self Ritual

 Over the weekend, I went camping with my kids.  A ton of fun, but very tiring.  It was a chilly sleep on a cot on an incline.  I've been resting my sore muscles and getting my sleep.  

On Monday or Tuesday, I came across post from Brigid's Grove/Molly Remer about a September Class she's teaching called Replenish at the Hearth, featuring Hestia.  Of course I'm interested, but with Halloween coming up, I can't afford to take it (and it's not expensive, but it ain't in the budget).  

However, Hestia tapped my shoulder wanting me to do a Hearth Replenishing ritual with Her.  Sure, yall know I could use some rest and energy.  Then yesterday, Virtual Fire was looking for someone to host the weekly ritual.  I volunteered, and wrote a ritual with Hestia's guidance, inspired by Molly Remer's class title and some of the poem/prayers she has on her FB page.  I didn't know much beyond the title and the prayers.  

I knew Replenishing the Hearth had something to do with self care, because as Hestia taught me years ago you can't pour from an empty vessel.  Self care so you can care for others.  And giving yourself permission to do self-care.

I didn't see this post Replenish with Hestia that was posted yesterday until this morning.  I was glad that I wasn't too far off with my own ritual.  But then it's not like it's a difficult concept, and Hestia was guiding me in writing it, as She probably is doing with Molly.  But her post really keeps it simple and sweet, whereas I tend to overthink and overcomplicate.  I mean, look at this post, and I haven't even included the ritual yet!

For the Omen, Hestia also had me use the Womanrunes, which is a primary tool of Brigid's Grove.  The rune set was created by Shekhinah Mountainwater, and then really expanded on by Molly Remer (you can read more about them in their book Womanrunes: Interpretation Guide).

My rituals tend to be lengthy, and with my ADF Druid ritual scripts, I typically follow the Core Order of Ritual which has a lot of steps, but it can be short, sweet, and to the point.  

Mine are usually long!  Big surprise, right?

BUT last night's ritual wasn't a High Day ritual, meaning that I didn't have to follow the COoR, so I didn't.  I was tired, low energy, and didn't feel like writing some hour-long ritual.  Although I will say that my rituals usually go on that long because of the omens--Deity likes to talk, ya know?  Sometimes the conversations are clear and to the point, and sometimes the connection isn't super strong, at least not at first, and it may take a bit longer to really plug in and understand what They're saying.

Last night's ritual was so short it felt incomplete to me, but that was probably because I'm not used to really short public rituals.  My private rituals are usually pretty short, though.  Public rituals, especially, can be sacred performances, engaging with the audience and the entities through story telling and teaching.  And more, of course. 

Last night, I invited Hestia and the Hearth Kindreds, gave offerings, led folks on a guided meditation, and did the omen all within 20-25 minutes!

Below in the Guided Meditation part, I mention the Hallows.  The Three Hallows in ADF Druidry typically are a Well or Vessel of Water, a Tree or Stone, and Fire.  In the COoR we often ask a Gatekeeper between our world and the Other to help us open the Hallows--Gates.

Let's get on with it, shall we?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Hearth Tending of the Self Ritual
Sept 9, 2026 / Night Before Dark Moon
By Foxlyn Wren
Non-COoR


Opening: Tell folks about what inspired and caused the ritual.


Calling the Hearth Mothers and Spirits: Light the Candle.

Hearth Keepers Prayer:
Born in the Waters, Kindled on the Land,
With a pillar of smoke that supports the heavens.
This fire burns at the center of ALL
To carry my voice to the Spirits.

Sacred Keepers of the Flame Shine within [us] today,
Take these words and deeds, and accept our offerings" (1).

Sprinkle offerings of lavender into the flame.

"Hearth Kindreds, we honor you. Bring Your presence of the Living Flame into our homes. Bless us with your gifts of light and warmth." (2)


Invitation: "Hestia, First and Last, Goddess of Hearth, Home, and Family. Spiritual Mother and Mentor. I felt your call, and I ask that you hear mine and be present for this ritual. Lend your gentle guidance and inspiration. Mix your magiks with ours, and help us go with the flow of this season of harvests, reaping, fun and activities, stresses and strains, and winter preparations. Give us the energy to work, but also the wisdom to rest. Teach us balance. Keep us grounded. Hail Hestia! Hail Hearth Kindreds! Accept this offering!"

Give a marshmallow.


Guided Meditation:  "Close your eyes and breath at your own pace. From your feet come roots that plunge deep and wide into the earth, so that no storms can knock you over. Roots that touch and intertwine with other roots. Roots of your family, friends, community, spirits. Roots that bring comfort, love, peace, calm. You're not alone if you feel it, but you have the support to be alone if you need it.

Follow the roots into the darkness and breathe.

Soon you begin to see light–the three Hallows leading you to an old stone hearth, with a small flame. Beside the hearth is a basket of kindle. Take note of what's in the basket, and what it may represent to you, such as fears, stressors, artists block, overbooked, overwhelmed, overworked, grief, tiredness–what's in your basket?

Now take this kindling and feed it to the flame. Watch the flame grow into a healthy fire. Breathe as the fire feeds on that which no longer serves you. Release the tension, the stress, the emotion, the blocks. Stare into the fire, let it warm you, comfort you, replenish you.

Day 42 by Molly Remer:
Today
For this moment,
Let it be easy.
Quiet your questions,
Soften your strains,
Soften yours striving,
Soften your worries.
Let joy creep back in
And find a place.
Remind yourself
That it is okay to rest,
That it is okay to change,
That it is okay to pause
[...].

Today,
Be present in your own life,
A life that can surround you
With goodness
And keep you well.
You are at home,
in the sanctuary
of the loving now (3).

Let the fire speak to you. Note any symbols, words, entities, colors, anything. If nothing shows itself, perhaps you're just meant to rest at this moment? You can also draw that fire into you, to purify and cleanse you of all unwanted and unneeded energies."

Give 3 minutes.

"And breathe.

Thank the fire. Thank the Hearth Kindreds and Spirits.

Before we go, Hestia asks that you reach into the fire. What do you pull out? A piece of kindling that needs to be worked through? Ash on your finger tips of release? A flame of guidance? A root? Take note and take this with you.

Return to your roots now and return to your body.

Breathe. Wiggle toes and fingers. When you're ready, open your eyes. I'll give you 3 minutes to write down your experience."

3 minutes.

"If you're comfortable, unmute and share your experience. If not, we'll move onto the omen." 

When I came to the hearth, I was greeted by Hestia, Vesta, and an excited Vestal Rhea. One of them reached into a white bag and tossed white powder into the fire. Three Elder Futhark Runes appeared in the flames: Ansuz (Breath), Isaz (Rest), Uruz (Good Health).


Omen: Tonight's omen was about playing and relaxing responsibly. Hestia spoke through the Womanrunes:
 
The Tree - Prosperity
The Winged Circle - Liberation
The Pendulum - Ethics


Thanking the Kindreds: "Hestia and each person's Hearth Kindreds and Spirits, we thank yall for attending this ritual and providing us with protection, guidance, inspiration, and comfort. Go if you must, stay if you want, Hail and farewell Hearth Kindreds and Spirits! This ritual is done. Thank yall for attending and participating."

----------------------------------------------------------------


Resources

  1. ADF.  The Hearth Keepers Way: An ADF Hearth Keepers Guide.  Page 21.  2009.  ADF Publishing.

  2. Franklin, Anna.  The Hearth Witch's Year.  Llewellyn Publications.  2020.  Page 22.

  3. Remer, Molly.  Brigid's Grove: Hestia of the Hearth.  6 September 2026. https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=1743767181090877&set=a.127068392760772 

  4. Remer, Molly.  Brigid's Grove: Return, Day 42.  8 September 2026.  https://www.facebook.com/reel/1619735789541480

  5. Ward, Terrence P (Editor).  First and Last: A Devotional for Hestia.  Bibliotheca Alexandrina.  2017.

---------

Thanks for the support!

Face to the Sun.
Trust in Joy.
Follow the Hallows...

- Priestess Foxlyn