Skip to main content

Blessed Equinox!

 Yay!  I'm glad that the First Day of Fall is gloomy, wet, and in the 60s.  AC is off, windows are open, and its Black and Orange Cat season.  As well as Apple and Pumpkin Picking Season.  As a month with an R and a Ber, it's hot chocolate season (because of Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, I only drink hot chocolate in months with an R--I know super nerdy).  

Today or tomorrow I plan on making a spice cake.  I was going to make a stew, but our fridge is stuffed with left overs.

This year--I believe when it started--Rev Vic started a High Day Pen Pal project and I've been enjoying it.  I just got two letters yesterday.  This High Day the prompt was a favorite equinox dish, so I knew I was sending a recipe--I've never been to one of those recipe sharing gatherings, but I have memories of older relatives getting together and swapping recipes.  Might as well share my favorite recipes!  I messaged my sendee to check for allergies and if they were vegan/vegetarian, and then I selected my favs: I think I sent Shepherd's Pie and Moon Cider.  Even though they didn't have to, they also sent me a couple of their favs, too: Mom's Chili and Pumpkin Bread.  As well as some incense.  <3

My other pen pal and I shared another fall favorite dish (no recipe): Dutch Apple Pie!  Yum, yum!  I'm thinking about making that pie some time this season.  I haven't made it in a long time.

------

Tomorrow I'm doing Persephone's Descent Ritual for Virtual Fire.  And Persephone is still quiet.  Every ritual, I like to take a look at the ritual script from the previous year to see if Someone speaks up, if I need to do a re-write, and so far, I guess not.  Although sometimes They get real talkative day of and hours before, too.  I like to change up my scripts because people and the world change.  I've been doing Persephone's Descent for 8-10 years, and the concept is the same, but the Workings are different, I also like to change up the prayers and poems within, too, to go with the Working.

Last year, the opening was a guided meditation that started in a tent.  A noise outside drew us out and we followed a Doe to the base of a mountain.  As the Doe climbed, she changed and beckoned us to follow.  A giant honeybee--a Melissae--appeared and gave us a ride up to the top of the mountain where Doe waited.  The Doe was Half Living and Half Dead.  I had them open their eyes.  I read a poem by Stephanie Sommers called Maiden of Seasons, and talked about what we were doing for the ritual, and continued through the COoR.  Melissae were the Spirits of Inspiration.  The Reindeer Antlered Elen of the Ways was the Gatekeeper.

To welcome Persephone, I read Persephone Prayersong by Molly Remer.

The Working I told them how the Melissae usually take us into the mountain, through a hive, to Persephone making Her way to the Underworld--Half Living, Half Dead--Dying, decay in every step.  She stops and waits for us to deliver a message.  Then She continues on where Hades is waiting for Her, skeletal, meeting His Beloved as a ghostly human or stag.  

Last year as I brainstormed with Persephone, I drew a card and got Eir--Norse Goddess and Valkyrie of Healing, tied to mountains.  Persephone didn't want to meet us under the mountain, but at the peak, closer to the Moon and the Sun, with more of an emphasis on Light Work, instead of Shadow Work.

I also walked them through making energy balls, and then we all returned to the top of the mountain with the Melissae and the Half Living Half Dead Doe.  They created energy balls of healing either for themselves or for others.

Then Doe laid down, rapidly decayed, turned into energy, and seeped into the mountain to continue Her journey.  The Melissae returned us to our tents.

I ended the guided meditation by reading Hymn to Persephone by K.S. Roy.  Continued on with the rest of the COoR.

------

I think this year, I don't really feel Elen wanting to be a part of the ritual tomorrow.  I'm feeling more of the Melissae.  They are Priestesses of many deities, including Persephone.  I'm feeling Them wanting more roles--so not just Inspiration and Guide, but also Gatekeeper.

I'm also feeling the theme of Molly Remer's Return--Coming Home to oneself.  I think I just need to sit down, plug in and see what comes to me.

Using Johanna Polle's The European Goddesses and Spirits deck, Persephone what should the focus of tomorrow's ritual be?

"Return"

Ha, I've pulled a regular card from the deck - Marzanna.  A Slavic Goddess of Death, Cycles, and Winter.

This card is asking oneself about how they cope with the highs and lows of life.  The Melissae immediately show me chunks of honey--Honeysweet.  Reminding folks of their honeysweets--things that nourish them through those lows, through the darkness of winter.  A Return to Home--Comfort, Familiarity, Rest, Peace, Harmony.  And not just physical home--as not all homes are peaceful and inviting.  Whatever, wherever one feels safe to rest.

I see a lost hiker in the storm.  They pitch their tent--their shelter from the harsh winds and painful rains.  It's not home, but it gives them some comfort, some rest, a break from the storms.  It gives them Hope.

I've also drawn Aphrodite - Love.  Giving oneself permission to give and receive love.  To ask oneself how they define it--what is the love that they seek?  What kind of love are they in need of?

"Stop punishing yourselves."

------

Well, I guess we'll see where the guided meditation takes me for tomorrow's ritual.  I may share the experience and the script with yall this week.

Thanks for the support!

Happy Equinox!  I hope yours is gentle and fulfilling.

Face to the Sun.
Trust in Joy.
Follow the pomegranate seeds......

- Priestess Foxlyn