Skip to main content

Almost Falling

 I've begun working on my Fall Equinox Healing Blanket again.

I've had an excellent summer, and I am ready for the coolness of fall.  I love living in an area where the seasonal changes are dramatic.  Although that also means the wind storms will more than likely return.  They've definitely become more of a thing over the last few years, in the spring and fall.   We had a glimpse of the winds yesterday evening.  Bout time to make sure outdoor stuff is secure, such as siding, bikes, mower, and that the bungees for the trash bin and deck furniture need to be replaced.

Not to mention check medicine stores and everyone's cold weather and winter gear.  Winters are getting worse, too.  Well, here and there, but those 1-3 weeks of artic blasts?  Oooffff.  Don't get me wrong, I prefer having proper winters--our region needs it for pest control and other natural reasons.  We also live in a trailer--thin walls.  But I've been collecting cold weather camping gear just in case we ever need to pitch a tent inside.  I have a fire pit and cooking tools, too, incase we need to cook outside.  Our neighborhood's power goes out once a week during warm weather, and more often during cold weather.  For a trailer park out in the country, it's pretty nice, but we do have power and internet problems.

We should probably invest in a generator...

I just hope we have fall weather, and that nature doesn't decide to skip from summer to winter, as has happened in other years.  I'd also like to use some of that camping gear for fun, not just survival, ya know?  I'd rather learn survival while having fun.

I was also able to get three of the four family costumes over the weekend.  For my mermaid, I got a scale leggings, a sleeping bag tail and a half-mask.  My youngest is going as Ghost Face, so I just got a cheap mask.  Midkid is going as the scariest thing in the world--Math Homework!  So I got him a plain white t-shirt and some fabric markers.  We're going to turn that shirt into a sheet of notebook paper and put some math equations on it.  My eldest wants to be Haymitch Abernathy from Hunger Games, so we're going thrifting for that costume.  Feels great that its not October yet and we have almost everything already.  Less worry about costumes and more planning for pumpkins, moon cider, and finishing the Trick or Treat plushies!

I need to think about what to make for our Fall Equinox feast next Monday.  Soup, stew, or shepherd's pie are our usual.  I'll ask the family what they're in the mood for this year.  I'm really wanting a hearty meaty stew with squash, and a spicy fruit cake or something.  I found a Norwegian recipe that I really want to try.  Something a little different.  I've made spice cakes in the past--my eldest really likes them.  I don't know how they'd feel about currants in their cake, though.  Maybe I'll bake two?

Gosh, I'm also craving mushrooms...