The night before we left for our out-of-state trip, my eldest comes to us with a friend. The friend was there to make sure my son told us about an infection on his leg. An infection he didn't tell us about because he was trying to take care of it himself...with soap and bandaids. He said it was a bug bite. He and I are both really allergic to flea and mosquito bites--they turn into blisters and blister clusters. That's what I saw on his leg. Big nasty blister clusters. I told him to wash it with dawn dish soap, and then we treated it with alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, and neosporin, and bandaged it up. I gave him an ibuprofen and had him elevate and ice his leg for that swelling.
He was embarrassed, and I told him not to be. I taught him the appropriate steps to take, and I made a note that included these steps for the kids and put it in our First Aid cabinet, as well as in big letters TELL MOM AND DAD, DON'T HANDLE ALONE!
The next day, it looked better. The blisters had popped and it was draining, which I thought meant it was okay. We cleaned and dressed it again, and I gave him ibuprofen again. I'd ask him questions throughout the days about how he was feeling, if his leg was hurting, and so on. He was fine, other than just being annoyed that the pus ruined his socks.
On our trip, it didn't stop draining. It's wasn't alarming, but I googled and draining wasn't good. Plus it was red, swollen, and hot to the touch (this happened on the way there). We were hours from home and almost to our destination. Once we got to TN, we went to an Urgent Care and were told that our insurance only worked in Ohio.
W
T
F
But we could try something called Telehealth. Well, we couldn't get the website to work! Instead, we made an appoint with his doctor for the 4th, as soon as we could get him in. We got advice from the nurse, as well.
We continued to treat it. Family looked at it and said it was poison ivy. My son argued that it was a bug bite. I didn't care either way bc it was infected. We started treating it as infected poison ivy, got that pink stuff--calamine lotion or whatever. We also soaked it in chlorine water from the pool to dry it out. As well as dawn, hydrogen peroxide, alcohol.
And I started doing runic healing magik, complete with galdring. I did this every morning, from the 27th to the 4th.
The Kindred gave me three runes to be used everyday:
- Sowilo (Success)
- Berkana (Healing)
- Gebo (Blessing)
Suh, Buh, Geh - the words for the galdr.
Then I drew three more runes, asking 'What can you tell me about my son's health?'
And each day those runes would change. Hagalaz as shelter was consistent. And towards the end so was Eihaz (for endurance and regeneration).
For example, one day:
- Sowilo
- Berkana
- Gebo
- Jera
- Hagalaz
- Eihaz
With the method of galdring I used, you sing the first sound of the rune:
Suh, Buh, Geh, Ya, Ha, Eh
I sang 9 times or until the Kindred said Enough.
Before singing, I'd anchor between earth and sun--or Jord and Sunna. I'd connect to my son's leg, to the wound. I'd sing out loud. I'd see it healing and healed.
Then I'd give offerings.
On the day we went home, it was still swollen but not red and hot. Never once was he dizzy, feverish, nauseous, fatigued, etc. By the night we got back, we were going to take him to Urgent but it stopped draining and looked better. Still blistery, but it didn't hurt or itch. We (washed his bedding) treated it at bedtime and kept an eye on it.
The next day, I was too tired to galdr, so I prayed instead. Again no drainage, it wasn't red and the swelling was going down.
Galdr, galdr, galdr.
By Tuesday, doc said it wasn't infected anymore and just gave him some medicine for the poison ivy.
And that's how you use healing magik alongside of modern medicine--you use them together. What an experience--tons of learning. I was very concerned throughout. I wanted to get him to a doctor asap because kids can be fine one moment, and in critical the next. I'm very grateful that he didn't get worse. He's the kid who tends to go to the hospital the most for bug bites.
Also apparently we need to find better insurance.
---------
Thanks for the support!
Face to the Sun.
Trust in Joy.
Follow the Runes...
- Priestess Foxlyn.