Skip to main content

Blessed Flamma Vesta and Dark Moon!


A few years ago, I came across the New Vesta Tradition founded by Debra Macleod.  Given that there aren't a whole lot of books about Vesta, or Hestia for that matter, I devoured her two books.  In those books, I believe she marked March 1st as the Flamma Vesta.  I could be wrong, as my memory ain't what it used to be and those books are packed away.  Given that I haven't seen anyone else talk about the Flamma Vesta, other than myself, I think it's a day made up by her--at least the name--which isn't a bad thing.  I often tweak and make up days that best suit my eclectic holy days.  

According to the what I have found within Roman Paganism, the month of February is called the Februlia and it is a time of death and purification, a month dedicated to the Death God Februs (my spelling may be wrong).  March 1st was the Roman New Year and, as I believe Macleod stated, was the Flamma Vesta, when Vesta's temples would be cleaned and Her fires renewed.  

I was looking for more ways to honor my Spiritual Mothers, other than the 1st of every month (because Hestia is the First and the Last), but at the time there was very little information.  Legit or not, I didn't care.  I began to celebrate the Flamma Vesta, honoring Hestia-Vesta and the Vestals.  

In February, I cleaned my home physically and spiritually--my external and internal homes.  While I cleaned, I gathered up things to burn, things to feed to Vesta, the Living Flame.  Nothing that's bad for the environment, mind you.  I'm not that careless.  Emotional, mental, spiritual, physical things to release, to destroy, to make way for healing and growth.  I burn things in the astral, and in my little ground grill outside.  Words and thoughts on paper.  Sigils.  Pictures.  I also burn the Vesta doll from the previous year, and present Her with a new doll. 

I also burn sigils with specific intentions for Black Salt (after I've cleared out the other ash, which is used for my plants).

Today I cleaned my shrines and altars, and will burn what was cleaned during the Februlia (nothing that harms the environment). I read books, hymns, and prayers for my Spiritual Mothers and Priestess Sisters.  I'm also celebrating my graduation from Hearth Keeper to Hearth Priestess!

Also don't forget tonight, 8pm EST, is Evermoving We Rise's Dark Moon Zoom ritual, where I will be working with Vesta or the Vestals to provide attendees with guidance.

However, Baba Yaga has understandably been hanging around this week, and for her message, take a click on over to the Phoenix Keys Oracle.

Thanks yall.  Blessed Flamma Vesta and Dark Moon.  

- Hearth Foxlynx


------------------------------

Resources:
  1. Debra May Mcleod: Vesta Today.  https://debramaymacleod.com/vesta-today  (formerly Flamma Vesta - http://flammavesta.com/ )
  2. Mcleod, Debra.  The New Vesta Secret: Finding the Flame of Faith, Home & Happiness.  2014.
  3. Mcleod, Debra.  The New Vesta Home: How a Renewed Tradition Can Keep Your Marriage & Family Together.  2014
  4. Neptune's Dolphins: Gods of the Month: February - https://neptunesdolphins.wordpress.com/2018/02/01/gods-of-the-month-february-2/

Comments