Skip to main content

Book Review: Good Different

 

Good Different by Meg Eden Kuyatt.  I read this book yesterday, from cover to cover, in a about 1-2 hours.  It's a story that's written in poems.  It's about a teen named Selah who's different and has a List of How to Be Normal and wears a Normal-Person Mask.  As the school year progresses, she ends up learning that she's not damaged or dangerous, instead she's autistic.  She becomes empowered by this truth and uses her poetry to educate her family and school.

She also loves dragons.  When I was reading the beginning of the book, I kept thinking to my old love of dragons, too.  When I was a kid/teen/young adult, I loved dragons.  They were my travel companions.  Anytime I'd get in the car, I'd look out the window and seeing a world of dragon and the human living and coexisting with them.  Dragons of all different shapes and sizes.  I had names and species information about them all. I'd draw them in notebooks and write stories about them.

Even sometimes as an adult, I'll look out and still see them. The Sky Gulpers who have shimmery reflective scales that make them "invisible" and can eat whole flocks of geese with one gulp. Or the Sabre Dragons running along our car. The gigantic wingless dragons who stop freeway traffic while cross to feed on the crops in the fields. So many dragon friends!

A secret dragon world that I didn't really share with anyone because no one really cared. I was already a weird kid/teen/young adult. I love that Selah loves dragons, too, and how she described herself as a dragon--one that she wished she was.  One that she was afraid of for a bit.  One that she learned to embrace and be empowered by.  The dragon being Autism.

I really loved this book.  I smiled and I cried, I was mad and compassionate.  It was really relatable.  I think I and two of my kids are autistic, and am currently saving money so we can get tested, so I can get the accommodations they need in school.  It's not enough to be self-diagnosed when it comes to school accommodations--you need that proof.  Or so has been my experience.

When I was a senior in high school, because I struggled to pass the proficiency tests, the school had me tested for learning disabilities.  When the results were in, my mom and I were called in, and the psychologist said that I had Dyslexia, Dysgraphia, Dyscalculia, and ADHD.  

To which my mom said, "There's nothing wrong with her, she's just lazy.  Doesn't apply herself."

She'd rather think me dumb.  Great!

The psychologist tried to educate her, but it didn't work.  Instead my mom cussed out the school and berated me in the car, and then she threw away all of the paperwork without me knowing, until years later when I was in college and needed proof of my disabilities and disorder in order to get help.  Thus, I wasn't able to get the help I needed, without paying through the nose for a tutor, which I couldn't afford, and therefore struggled, fell into a deep depression, and eventually dropped out. 

Thanks mom!  

So that's why I need to get my kids checked out and tested so life isn't totally difficult for them.  So they can get the counseling, coaching, and accommodations that I never got.  Also so they don't think they're broken and dumb, like I did.  And they won't be surrounded by adults who think they're just being lazy and are embarrassing.  (I'd also like to get help if I am autistic--as an autistic parent raising autistic kids.  It's already rough having cPSTD and ADHD and raising kids who have their own neurodivergencies.)

After I read this book, I talked to my kids about it.  Told them that it's middle grade level!  Which is the level of my older kids.  I put the book on the Middle Grade shelf of our little library for them to check out.  My middle-son is very interested, as he has an IEP and accommodations at school.  He doesn't have a diagnoses for anything, although I've asked to have him tested many times!  Only to be ignored, although I've been vocal about my neurodivergences, many of which are hereditary!  What's a parent know, right?

Switching gears, Good Different is another book I recommend for adults and kids.  For neurodivergents and neurotypicals.  The author describes what overstimulation can feel like to some neurodivergent people, and I think that can help other people understand us.  That's one thing that the book repeats--teaching others and helping other realize that they're not alone.  It's okay.  It's a good different.

The world is loud, chaotic, and very scary and overwhelming right now.  If it helps, go read or listen to a book.  Certainly what I've been doing...and practicing writing Book Reviews.

As always, thank you all for the support!

A reminder that in August, I will be deleting my Facebook Account and not making another one.  I am not closing Hearth Fox Oracle, just deleting my Facebook.  The platform is just too toxic, predatory, and unfair.  I'm doing what best for my mental health.  I will still be on Instagram (at least for the time being), Blogspot, and Etsy.  And still doing in person events, like Pagan Festival coming up in October in Kettering, Ohio!

- Priestess Oracle Foxlyn Wren

Comments